A recording left by Mark Conditt before he killed himself described seven explosive devices he had built but did not offer a reason for his attacks.
Austin bomber Mark Conditt left behind a 25-minute video confession recorded on his phone, which authorities found with him after he killed himself with an explosive device early Wednesday, reports the Austin American-Statesman. The discovery of the confession comes after a series of bombings over three weeks that killed two, injured five and created fear through the city. Interim Police Chief Brian Manley said the recording – which officials believe was made between 9 and 11 p.m. Tuesday night as authorities closed in on Conditt – describes in detail the differences between each of the seven explosive devices authorities say Conditt built, including one found intact at a FedEx facility Tuesday and the final one that took his life early Wednesday.
Manley said there appeared to be no specific reasons why Conditt targeted the people who were killed or injured in the attacks. The recording, which officials won’t release while the investigation is underway, does not clearly illustrate a motive for the bombings or explain how he chose his victims. “He does not at all mention anything about terrorism nor does he mention anything about hate,” Manley said, “but instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man, talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point.” Before the confrontation with Conditt, authorities had been looking for a “peaceful resolution, Manley said. Police located him in a motel parking lot, but as they waited for tactical teams, he drive out of the lot. “Not knowing where he was going to go or what might be next or whether he was armed, there was a decision made to put the stop in that frontage road before he got on I-35 and potentially went anywhere else,” Manley said.