No Sex-Abuse Charges Against NY ex-AG Schneiderman

“I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team,” wrote a prosecutor, “however legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution” of former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

After a six-month investigation, prosecutors said that they would not pursue criminal charges against former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who resigned in May after four women accused him of assaulting them, reports the New York Times. The decision was announced by Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas, who was asked by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to investigate the case. Singas said the women who accused Schneiderman were credible, but there were legal hurdles to bringing charges. Some of the accusations were too old to pursue under state law. “I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team,” Singas wrote, “however legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution.”

Singas proposed a new state law that would protect victims of sexually motivated violence by making it illegal to hit, shove, slap or kick someone without their consent for “the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification.” Schneiderman’s resignation, which took place after the accusations against him were published in The New Yorker, was a stunning fall for a politician who had not only risen to prominence as an antagonist of the Trump administration, but who had played a forceful personal role in the #MeToo movement. Women who had been romantically involved with him accused him of choking, hitting and slapping them, sometimes during sex and often after drinking. They said the violence was not consensual. Schneiderman said Thursday that he had apologized to the women and spent time in “a rehab facility.”

from https://thecrimereport.org