Judge Orders Video Release in Charlotte Police Killing

A judge ordered Charlotte-Mecklenburg police to release video of the Sept. 6 police shooting death of Rueben Galindo. It was the first time a judge has said that footage can be released under a new public records law while an investigation is ongoing.

A judge ordered Charlotte-Mecklenburg police to release video of the Sept. 6 police shooting death of Rueben Galindo, the first time a judge has said that footage can be released under a new public records law while an investigation is ongoing, the Charlotte Observer reports. District Attorney Andrew Murray has not decided whether to criminally charge the two officers involved. The ruling was the latest test of a state law passed last year that requires all requests for body camera and other footage to go through a court hearing before they can be released to the public.

The video will be released Oct. 6 to Robert Dawkins of the group Action NC and to Charlotte Observer investigations editor Doug Miller, who filed separate requests for the footage that were heard together in court Thursday. Police will release the video publicly after Dawkins and Miller receive their copies. Galindo, 29, had called 911 and said he had a gun but no bullets. A dispatcher told officers that a Spanish-speaking man had called and wanted officers to help him. When officers arrived, they ordered him to drop the handgun but he did not obey their commands, police said. Chief Kerr Putney has said the officers shot Galindo because they perceived an imminent lethal threat.

from https://thecrimereport.org