“How did this happen to a 10-year old?,” asks-Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernández Rundle, saying that investigators do not suspect the child was exposed at home. “It’s the nightmare that every parent fears.”
A Florida prosecutor is voicing alarm after a 10-year-old boy died with a dangerous opioid mixture in his system , making him one of the state’s youngest victims in the nationwide drug epidemic, the Washington Post reports. The Miami Herald reported that Alton Banks started vomiting June 23 after he returned to his home from a community pool. The boy was later found unconscious and rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Preliminary toxicology results recently showed that the child had a lethal mixture of heroin and fentanyl in his system.
The circumstances surrounding his death are still unknown, and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernández Rundle wants answers. “How did this happen to a 10-year-old?” Rundle told the Post yesterday, saying that investigators do not suspect the child was exposed at home. “It’s the nightmare that every parent fears,” Rundle said. She said he was a happy-go-lucky boy “just doing what we want kids to do — be outside, be playful, be exploring, be with your friends.” Fentanyl can be prescribed as a legal painkiller, but its illicit use has experts particularly concerned amid a relentless nationwide drug crisis.