President Trump says that 300 criminals are in the caravan traveling toward the U.S. from Honduras. The newspaper can’t establish the accuracy of this number.
The Washington Post gives President Trump three Pinnochios for the accuracy of his statements about the “caravan” of migrants traveling from Honduras. He said he had released the names of 300 criminals in the group. There were no names, just a vague news release issued Nov. 1 titled “Myth vs. Fact: Caravan.” A Department of Homeland Security spokesman says that “last year 17,000 criminal aliens were apprehended attempting to enter our country illegally. We stand by our previous release that there are a large number of individuals with criminal convictions traveling with the caravan flow”.
The administration refers to “individuals along the caravan route … over 270 individuals along the caravan route have criminal histories.” The Post notes that people along the route aren’t necessarily in the caravan. A news release refers to people with “criminal histories.” There are four examples given: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, armed robbery, sexual assault on a child and assault on a female. The Mexican government has announced that it had deported at least six (and possibly eight) Hondurans who were part of the caravan, based on notices from Interpol alleging murder, robbery and other crimes. Because they were deported, they are not in the caravan anymore. DHS data shows that 32 percent of the undocumented immigrants deported in fiscal 2014 as “criminal aliens” were convicted of immigration crimes, such as illegal entry. Sixteen percent were removed for drug offenses, 14 percent for traffic offenses, 10 percent were removed for assault and 1.7 percent for sexual assault. A large percentage of people with “criminal histories” may simply be guilty of previously trying to enter the U.S. Yet the news release highlights a sampling of violent crimes.