Four-Month U.S. Ban on Refugees Ends

Refugees seeking entry to the U.S. now will face what officials described as more stringent and thorough examination of their backgrounds, in line with Trump’s “extreme vetting” policy for immigrants.

President Trump’s four-month worldwide ban on refugees ended Tuesday, officials said, as his administration prepared to unveil tougher new screening procedures, the Associated Press reports. Under an executive order Trump signed this year, the U.S. temporary halted admissions for refugees from all countries, with some exceptions. The end-date written into the order came and went Tuesday with no new order from Trump to extend it. Refugees seeking entry to the U.S. will face what officials described as more stringent and thorough examination of their backgrounds, in line with Trump’s “extreme vetting” policy for immigrants. The Homeland Security Department, the State Department and other U.S. agencies have been reviewing the screening process.

The new screening procedures were to be announced shortly, said a State Department official. Even with the ban lifted, refugee admissions are expected to be far lower than in recent years. Last month, Trump capped refugee admissions at 45,000 for the fiscal year that started Oct. 1, a cut of more than half from the 110,000 limit put in place the year earlier by President Obama. The actual number admitted this year could be far lower than Trump’s 45,000 cap, which sets a maximum but not a minimum. The refugee restrictions were in addition to Trump’s broader “travel ban” on people from several countries. Courts have repeatedly blocked that policy, but largely left the temporary refugee policy in place. Trump has made limiting immigration the centerpiece of his policy agenda.

from https://thecrimereport.org